Many of you are aware, but many of you may not be aware, that the proposed name change of J.E.B. Stuart High School to "Justice" is not final. There has been a lawsuit filed in dispute of the process used to change the name. The School Board is aware of this lawsuit and has chosen to fastrack the implimentation to the Fall of 2018 instead of their advertised Fall of 2019
There has been much emotion/division in the community and in the student body over this issue. There has been equal disinformation regarding the opinion of our Alumni.
One MAJOR deficiency in the name change process, for us, is that the Alumni of J.E.B. Stuart High School have NEVER been "Officially" surveyed for your opinions and thoughts on changing the name of our alma mater.
There have been many on both sides who have made blanket claims that, "The Alumni wants the name changed." or "The Alumni, does not support the change."
Until now, your Alumni Association chose to stay on the sidelines. However, in the early days of this issue, we did post the links to "Keep the Name" or "Change the Name," Change.org surveys. Change.org surveys are open to ANYONE on the internet for responses. This method cannot not accurately reflect the Alumni opinion. We believe that this flawed survey did not serve the Association of Alumni at J.E.B. Stuart High School.
With the following survey, we want to officially get the opinion and thoughts of our classmates in a closed group questionaire. All answers will not be individually identified or shared to anyone other than the Administrators of your alumni website. All answers will be anonymous. Classmates will be able to view collective group results but WILL NOT be able to view each Classmate's specific answers The collective results WILL be shared with all members of the J.E.B. Stuart Alumni Association.
Please take the time to let your voice be heard, collectively, as the J.E.B. Stuart Alumni Association.
Thank you fellow Raiders!
You must be a member to submit this survey. If you are a member please log in first. You can't submit this form until you've logged in.
* Answer Required
* The J.E.B.Stuart Alumni Association should be proactive in promoting/facilitating important discussion(s) regarding Alumni information and issues.
The Mission Statement on this Alumni website states: "The mission of the J.E.B. Stuart Alumni Association is to foster community among the alumni and to strengthen alumni connections to the school."
To date, your Alumni association has mostly used the website "Email the Classmates" or "Post Announcements" function regarding
2. Soliciting Donations for the Stuart Education Foundation
3. Homecoming and All Classes Holiday Alumni party invitations
4. "In Memoriam" notices
* I was aware who General J.E.B. Stuart was when I attended our high school.
Did your J.E.B. Stuart educational experience include formal studies about James Ewell Brown Stuart, his importance during the Civil War and activities in our local area?
* During my time in high school, I had negative feelings about the name of J.E.B. Stuart High School.
For you....Was the name of J.E.B. Stuart High School a reference to racism or slavery?
* During my time at J.E.B. Stuart High School, I experienced a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere with my fellow classmates.
* The Alumni should have an important influence in any decision to change to the name of J.E.B. Stuart High School? (whether you are local or not)
Even though you may or may not live in the Stuart High School District, do you feel that Alumni contributions (financial or otherwise) to the school should be recognized by the Fairfax County School Board when making this decision?
* The current students at J.E.B. High School should have an important influence in any decision to change to the name of J.E.B. Stuart High School?
* The school district/community that directly feeds into J.E.B. High School should have an important influence in any decision to change to the name of J.E.B. Stuart High School?
Community surveys have been discounted by the Fairfax County School Board regarding the name change, despite multiple formal Fairfax County Public School community surveys that demonstrated an absence of majority support for any change.
* The Fairfax County School Board should adhere to the J.E.B. Stuart community survey results, conducted by Fairfax County Public Schools, that showed that the majority of the community opposed changing the school name?
Three surveys were conducted by Fairfax County Public School System.
56% said NO change
35% said YES, change the name
8% had no opinion
* Fully funding educational resources is a higher priority than changing the school name.
J.E.B.Stuart has been struggling in the recent years to maintain academic accreditation.
Also, 67% of the student body comes from low income households and are on free or assisted lunch programs.
* Changing the name of J.E.B. Stuart High School is a higher priority than funding educational resources?
Fairfax County Public Schools own estimates are approximately $500K-$900K.for changing the name.
* The Fairfax County School Board has announced that the name shall be changed to "Justice High School." and the school mascot is "Wolves."
I APPROVE of these choices.
A community survey was conducted by the Fairfax County Public Schools in the J.E.B.Stuart School District. The winning choice was NOT "Justice High School." it was independently chosen by the Fairfax County School Board.
The Mascot was chosen by a student survey. There are 2300 current students and only 1000 of them participated in the vote.
* I feel that this is a Fairfax County Taxpayer decision and should be made by voter referendum to change the name of a school in our school district?
* The name of J.E.B. Stuart High School should be changed, regardless of taxpayer costs.